Friday 6 September 2013

Module 6 - Chapter 7

MIXED MEDIA LAYERS

6.7.1

I started with the first idea by tearing pieces of magazine pages and sticking to a base layer, then doing a green wash, followed by drawing around shapes and then stamping with a home made stamp.

a)

b) Then cut and stuck some of my foxglove oil pastel drawings that I had photocopied in various sizes


c) These beautiful colours in a magazine, when woven together, also reminded me of my colour scheme.


d) But I didn't think much of this result. Torn shapes placed to give an impression of foxgloves


e) Perhaps a similar idea using my weathervane background would work, no not really


f) A change of subject. I used one of my lamb pictures that had not come out very well last time, made a larger lamb mask and stuck it in place.  Then I used an overbright wash of Inktense. Yes of course it is intense!  When I removed the mask I was disappointed with the result, so made another cut out, this time of tracing paper, stuck it on and darkened it slightly with a pewter oil pastel.


g) More cut outs, some overprinting of sheep breeds (there are hundreds of them) and a little sewing. I like this one.


h) Last year I made this hare, copied from a mug, into a foam stamp and have used him quite a bit since then.  I traced around a cut out onto a 'farm gate' page from the last chapter with progressively lighter/thinner pens and filled in a little with paint applied lightly with the end of a brush.  I could, I know do lots more with this lovely chap.


i) Sometimes when I start experimenting I get halfway through and wonder what the heck I am doing. This is one of those time.  The background is Markle over a extured background. The weird tree is hot melt glue, which obviously comes out lumpy, ironed to flatten it. Then I used foil over the top ironing it lightly to remelt the glue a little. Additional pale green paint then added on top.  I shall not bother with that idea again. The hare is cut out of tomato puree tube and textured by being pressed onto a cheese grater.  All a bit strange.



I have mixed feelings about this chapter. It is a very enjoyable one to do but I am feeling that I need to get on as time is running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment