Saturday 29 June 2013

Module 6 - Chapter 3

Exploring theme in pen and ink

I have a very large collection of pens, so it is good to be able to put some of them to use in this chapter. I will keep these samples below safe as it will save lots of time in the future and also save upset as I will not 'wash' those that are not permanent.

Perhaps its not relevant but one artist I like very much is Eric Ravilious, of course most of his pictures are wood engravings and lithographs, but seem to have the same feel to them as pen and ink.

6.3.1 Mark making
I am sorry that the top line has got chopped off. It should read......

Scribble, Stabilo Write 4 all permanent ...Sharpie Fine point perm...Uniball gel grip
    
.

6.3.2
I thought I would start with part of a couple of the barns and I found it very useful to have done the above to help me decide which pens to use.


I was rather reluctant to put a wash on the original picture, even though of course the paper is a much better quality for a wash, so I have washed a photocopy. That means I still have the option of doing something different to the original.

Another barn, again as above but a very wishy washy wash.

I quite surprised myself by finding that my preferred pen for this sheep was in fact biro. I have done him rather large but got a bit carried away.

I didn't want to colour him, so I put him on a painted background instead.
Oh dear, this next picture of a sheep's head is horrible, the poor thing looks possessed. I definitely prefer the anvil. The fern is one of many growing in the barn walls.
The wash would have been more relevant if I had put in background I now realise.

I am looking forward to doing more drawings around the farm now I have made a start.

We do get to see lots of the sheep here. Even though they don't belong to us, we still get involved. Last week we had to move about 100 from one field to another as a man was coming to spray the dock in their field. Using the 'Mule' - a small jeep, we rounded them up and got them into the next field without incident in about 5 minutes.  However we were then asked by the man who owns them all if we could also move about 50 cows AND the bull.  Again we managed very efficiently and thankfully the bull was the good tempered one, who obligingly walk in after the cows in his own time. Phew.



No comments:

Post a Comment