Tuesday 5 February 2013

Module 5 - Chapter 3

Artists Self Portraits

5.3.1

My local library was not very helpful but found lots of self portraits on the internet. Having read up on some of them in more detail I printed off notes to keep with my selection, for future reference.



Of course I knew from the beginning I would go for Vincent van Gogh, but which one, as there are so many. I have loved this artist since my teens and have an excellent book and a few very good prints of his work "somewhere in the barn"! I chose this one done in 1887-1888 with its strong and controlled variation in brushstroke.



I found an article by Margaret Drabble from The Guardian, Saturday 5th December 2009 which sums up all that I feel for this lovely, brave and talented man. I have a copy with my notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment