Tuesday 3 July 2012

Module 4 - Chapter 6

Raising the Surface
On the top of this first sheet I have taken Viv's idea and used my tracing wheel. It had also sat unused for about 35 years! The first square is done in wavy lines in two directions and the second in only one direction. I used a piece of foam underneath, but think that felt would have been better as suggested. The bottom two are cut out and partially stuck down stars and cut Vs of various sizes. I very much like the latter and have done many variations in the past.

The second page, top l.h. corner, cut and partially folded back. Top r.h. corner, probably a bit too subtle to show up but it is corrugated finely in both directions and looks a bit like damask. Bottom l.h. various size holes punched with an old dental instrument (I think used for tightening braces?) An interesting effect, but the throat is not very wide, so limited to edges. r.h. creased and stitched.

Third page top, split plastic straws woven through slits. Very bouncy. Middle commercial punch of cats cut out and stuck back slightly offset. Bottom black and white strips woven with thick punched dots glued to the squares. Quite fiddly. The thickness was supposed to cast a shadow, but it doesn't show.

I am a fan of origami, from way back when I used to look forward to my Rupert Bear annual with a new thing to make (with my mother's help) and I think some of the above is related to that. Anyway very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment