Monday 15 August 2011

RECYCLED PAPERS


2.5.1
I have been saving papers for ages now and so had a good stash to work with. I also already had wallpaper adhesive, plus wallpaper border paste which can be used straight from the tube which can be quite handy. PVA of course I use a lot. I did find with the PVA (diluted) that it wasn't tacky this time and I don't really know why, perhaps Hobbycraft is a bit different?  I also used (I don't remember where I read the suggestion) a mixture of wallpaper paste and PVA. Seemed to turn out well.

2.5.2
Making up the papers was fun, though I probably thought about the different pieces a bit too much.

I really got into the weaving papers bit, though doing it on a diagonal as well was probably a waste of time, but it was fun. It all gets covered up in the end anyway.



2.5.3
I did loads of stitched papers, remembering to use an old needle that had already been used for paper. I enjoyed the free machining particularly.

and a couple of pages of hand stitching in my sketchbook. I think using chunky threads would be very effective as well, even if hard work. Painting on top would stop any tearing later.

2.5.4
I used emulsion and also white acrylic, an inexpensive Value tube to overpaint the papers. Wasn't sure if I should also do the woven ones, but I don't see them being stable enough to print on if they are not painted first, so did some of those as well. One of the painted ones is above, got them a bit out of order after all the problems I had.

With some of the above I painted one piece fairly thickly and then pressed another unpainted one onto it. When I peeled them apart there was some nice texture (the bluish one + another.

I looked at a site about Will Ashford - that is so clever. It must take a great deal of time to do though, but it makes me want to have a go (some time)
Well the floor is now covered in dozens of pieces of paper, lots of them painted so I should have plenty to start me on the next chapter.























No comments:

Post a Comment