Tuesday 23 August 2011

PRINTING CHAPTER 6


2.6.1 Printing blocks
I have a few lovely old wooden blocks in different styles as well as a set or two of acrylic letters. In addition I had already bought the alphabet set for children to play with in the bath and they have been used for that purpose quite a lot. I initially started by making just five capital letters, but then later decided I would find it really useful to have a whole set of 26 and made it up in lower case using the "American Typewriter" font. I have put them onto card, treated with button polish and put a tab on the back to make them easier to use.
2.6.2 Printing
This is the capital letters I made first of all.  Although I knew it would not be the best thing to do, I tried these out first of all without any backing card, using disposable gloves. This first page is quite neat and I liked the way the J travelled diagonally down the page, also the others.

This second page with the same letters I had the paint very slightly thinner and it all got a bit messy.
Symmetrical Effects. I didn't do this in my book, but instead folded a sheet of stitched etc newspaper. I found that in order for the letters to transfer onto the opposite page the paint had to be quite runny. But if it was too runny, then I just got a blob.  Perhaps this surface was more absorbent than my sketchbook would have been.

I knew that making lower case in this style would be a little tricky in so far as they would need a couple of drawn lines to place them correctly, but in this instance I am happy to have them tipping about and up and down a bit.
This last one is from the two different sets of letters. If it had to have a title it would have to be
'No dancing'.
I have some more sheets with the letters in different directions, but haven't scanned them, they are not that special.

No comments:

Post a Comment