Wednesday 15 May 2013

Module 5 - chapter 10

Degas and Pastels

Luckily all my pastels are in there own boxes and have survived being moved from pillar to post over the last year. My box of Conte soft pastels must be about 20 years old, but they are still going strong. I love the way these blend so very smoothly and come is such beautiful colours. They are a bit delicate and can break easily. My Daler Rowney oil pastels are good to use in a more vigorous way and can to held more firmly. Lastly the Caran D"Ache oil pastels. These seem like cream compared to the Daler Rowney and are lovely to use. I already had a set of torchon but have wondered if you can clean them, perhaps with a craft knife or sandpaper?  They look as though they should be able to to in a big pencil sharpener.

5.10.1
I started off with the Conte soft pastels on drawing paper and can see that the paper being a bit rough or having tooth, shows off the texture well

The next sort I used were Caran D'Ache Neopastels
Then Daler Rowney
Sticking to the oil pastels, both sorts. I used some of my collection of ready made stencils that I collect from food packers with holes in them.
Just the Conte now, gosh they certainly do need fixing with spray but perhaps this sugar paper isn't rough enough to hold it.
I was lucky enough to get a book on Degas out of the library, although the illustrations of  his ballet pictures were limited.  However it was interesting to read about his life and how his work developed.
Back to my sketching paper



A mixture of some of my files, using the different methods of construction. I still don't have a favourite, but lean towards the origami.


This has been a fascinating module to do and I am much happier with the idea of drawing figures and faces after this. I love my home made articulated figures and will definitely been using them again. Also it has been great to use some of the things that have been put away for years, like my pastels.

Hopefully I will be in my new room by the time I get to the next module and will have rescued my stuff from the barn. It will be lovely not to have to go out in the rain, unlock doors, trip over in the gloom and generally be put off doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment