Sunday 4 September 2011

LETTERS & PATTERNS Chapter 9

I had managed to get a very large book on Gustav Klimt out of the library and looking through it, I noticed that many of his motifs are used again and again. His paintings must have been very time consuming as the tiny details seem quite obsessional.  It was very interesting to make a note of some of the most used ones.
2.9.1

The colours for this piece started off based on his picture 'The Virgin', but I think the yellow is just a bit too bright, it would have looked better in a slightly softer colour I think.  I find it a bit tricky not going into 'zentangle' mode when doing these.
2.9.2
I started off my letter exercise by painting the background with blue Brusho. Of course when I got glue on it the colour was not fast. Oh well.  I ended up cutting most of the pieces of paper and foil by hand individually. The red triangles are from foil that was round an Easter Egg, so it was good to use it at last. The round gold spots I punched out with a hole punch, but this foil was from the top of (I think) baby food, so it was much more substantial, as were the silver spirals. The black and gold flowers, plus the tiny pink and gold rectangles are from wrapping paper. The green around the gold spots is glue pen with foil rubbed down on it.  When looked at in close up, it is very broken up and bitty. I was disappointed with the gold paper from a greeting card envelope as I think it looks a bit like brown paper. The G was painted with gold acrylic with some foiling on top. I'm not sure about the balance of the design. Is it lop sided?  Anyway fun to do over several days.
I love the example in the Extra Activity section, the colours are so elegant. It is something I may well go back to do sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment