Tuesday 19 April 2011

Chapter 8 Matisse & colour

8.1 I got a very good book out of the library on Matisse and it was a pleasure to read through it. I had forgotten many of pictures he painted at the beginning, were quite conventional, also that he, like many painters made sculptures.  The paper cutouts he did towards the end of his life have always fascinated me. This exercise on Matisse reminded me that when I was a child living in St Lucia, we had a reproduction of Matisse's Black Fern on the wall.  I always used to wonder why the lady had a table leg on her lap!

8.2 I took some liberties with my interpretation of a still life with fruit, insofar as the tablecloth was much more complex in the photo. I think the green stripy and spotty cushions are a bit too much for the fruit!

8.3 Like the one above, this was also painted in gouache but gave me far more trouble. I don't think I should have used the same fabric as background and foreground. I made a small foam block for the paisley pattern in the fabric. The colour of the small jug gave me lots of grief and got changed several times.
 8.4 + 8.5 I couldn't do the colour change on either Picasa or the basic photoshop programme on my Mac, so had to enlist the aid of daughter in law for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment