Saturday 3 August 2013

Module 6 - chapter 6

Printmaking with foam sheets

My printing surface is very quick to set up.  I have a portable padded ironing board (with cutting mat on the reverse) that I use by slipping a plastic carrier bag over, that is an excellent fit and wipes clean.

6.6.1

To make some fairly basic printing blocks, I used the farm gate with the name Pittescombe on it, although I didn't really expect this to be readable, a lamb from one of my drawings and the words "farm" and "lamb". These were made from foam which I know I don't have an allergy to as I have been using it for many years, and also another block of a lamb using a piece of pizza tray.


a) this is done on plain black paper, first with white then blue. I think the black background is very effective.


b) This pale lilac patterned background doesn't really show up

c) The background to this is painted mauve and lime green, done ages ago for this course


d) This is one of my favourites in this chapter. Again a background that I have had for ages, the gate block is done in copper and the word 'lamb' oddly enough in a pearlised green textile paint. It was a new one and I wondered how it would look on paper.


e) The first of the blocks done combining the two methods.  Not very interesting at all. Again it needs more going on in the background.


f) Getting a bit better, but the sponge too damp when applying the paint to the polystyrene.


g) I like this a lot more.  I think this would be very effective sliced up and rearranged, but I won't do that just yet.

Come to think of it, some of the above that I don't like would benefit from slicing/dicing and a bit of extra colour.  I did a few more, like one of lambs on a magazine page of wooly jumpers and other experiments, but they are not worth putting on here.

I have remembered my magpie block that I made for this course as well, he may get used later. I do like doing printing very much, so this was fun if not as successful as I had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment